Saturday, January 5, 2008

Vince Neil brings up Tony Lindsay at Tony LaRussa's Charity Benefit



Call me a rain wimp. Friday's storms kept me in Santa Cruz. The pictures and video tell me I should have driven to Walnut Creek for the Tony LaRussa show with Vince Neil, Santana singer Tony Lindsay and Eric Martin.

An aside...I had the wierdest experience the night before, watching a Santana live show at Yahoo live while IMing Lindsay on AOL. The Nissan-sponsored show from Los Angeles --his first taped since returning to the band over the summer--was excellent. I was giving him a live review while watching...and I have to say that Santana is SO much better with him and the other singer, Andy Vargas.

Vargas's voice wasn't strong enough to carry the show alone, but with Tony, and backups from Carlos, the singing matched the strength of the drums, which matched the power of the guitar.

Viva Santana at full strength!

Lindsay, a regular around San Jose and the Peninsula with his own band, also co-wrote the opening Santana number, "Interplanetary Dance Party." He'll be out on the road with Santana all year.

My best concert source and photographer, Bret from San Jose took the photos and recounted a set that included Tony singing backup on "Dr. Feelgood,'' "Smokin' in the Boy's Room," Led Zep's "Rock and Roll" and "Girls, Girls, Girls."

I have to say, a set by a band that incorporates Santana, Motley Crue and Mr. Big would have been something to see, and shows another reason why we have it so good in the Bay Area.

Video to come!

No comments: